On May 25, 2009, at 6:31 PM, David Brownell wrote:

On Monday 25 May 2009, Rick Altherr wrote:

Actually, David Brownell agrees that it does fix bugs regarding
portability of the existing definitions in types.h.

Perhaps your passion for this debate clouded your sight to that fact.

Trust me, there is no passion on this end.  Only experience and
willingness to "do the right thing".  There are no reports of bugs
encountered by users that are solved by changing the types with either
patch for 0.2.0.  The only potential case is for Windows 64-bit since
ints become 64-bit. Otherwise, all of our platforms correctly map the
types as defined.

I don't think you can know what "all our platforms" are though.
The code should just work on all platforms where the various
prerequisites are available; this set of developers will have
only partial coverage.

Merging Zach's patch is a way to help make *sure* that any bugs
which appear can not be specific to OpenOCD.  And if anyone is
really claiming it's too risky to merge now, I'd conclude that
we must only be a week or two from release...

I consider changing the basic type definitions to be fairly risky even if it shouldn't change for most platforms. You are correct that we don't know all the platforms where the code is compiled. That's a side effect of distributing as source. Of course, we do know the platforms that we regularly use and we also know that they currently work.

Ultimately, I'm one voice in the crowd. Zach and numerous others have commit privileges to the repo. If the community has decided that such a patch is low enough risk and important enough for the next release, then so be it. I do not support such a decision, but such is the way of dealing with any group of people working together.

--
Rick Altherr
kc8...@kc8apf.net

"He said he hadn't had a byte in three days. I had a short, so I split it with him."
 -- Unsigned