Dominic,

I agree with your comments, and feel it is a shame this whole situation has
occurred.

> 2) The OpenOCD project itself released binaries linked
> against FTD2XX on its Berlios page, for example
> openocd-cygwin-ftd2xx-20060213.tar.gz. I don't think it's
> totally unreasonable to extrapolate some right of distributing
> OpenOCD+FTD2XX based on this...
>
> 3) I would be willing to add a license exception that allows
> linking with the FTD2XX library and I invite other major
> contributors to do the same. The result may not be a OpenOCD
> rev. 2000+ that's accompanied with this exception, but I
> suppose we might find some revision where we can formally
> grant our users a right they have been executing for almost
> four years.

Being a contributor since rev 7 i have no objections to adding a ftd2xx
exception.
GPL is important, but i do not understand people's objections to adding an
exception -
who exactly is this hurting?

It would be a shame to have to fork openocd.

Cheers
Spen