Øyvind Harboe wrote:
> Could you explain a bit about your thoughts on closed source
> target and interface drivers together with OpenOCD?
>
> I can imagine that a lot of CPU vendors would love the ability
> to provide a closed source plugin that talks to their CPU.
>
> Similarly I believe that there are hardware debuggers that
> would like to have their product specific code closed source.

This  is  always  a  tradeoff/balance  thing.

The protocol to talk to MPSSE is well known/open (they do praise
developers of open alternatives on thier web site) ,
their driver and dll are distributed without restrictions but not with
source code. So it is not GPL but at the same time it does not put any
restrictions  on my code in OpenOCD.

What is the situation with the ZY1000, I assume that all modifications
to the OpenOCD source tree are public, but can you guarantee that the
code running on the Zylin1000 does not link to anything that is nonopen
and thus violates the GPL ?

Regards
Magnus