On Thu, 2009-06-25 at 00:12 +0200, Ronald Vanschoren wrote:
> > This is _very_ apt observation, and one I almost forgot myself.
> >
> Thanks ;-)
> > As (I think) you say here, the Linux kernel module scenario does not
> > affect the legality of a loadable module in the same user-space process
> > as OpenOCD.  The module still violates the GPL when distributed, since
> > it would be derived in part from the type and API definitions provided
> > by the driver interface header files.  Thus, binaries of the driver
> > module could not be distributed.
> >
> The situation with Linux is a little more gray and I was kinda hoping
> nobody would notice. Some API from Linux is outside GPL (like
> systemcalls and some other). This is probably how NVIDIA makes a full
> closed source kernel module.
> But even if it wasn't so, only the translation layer between Linux API
> and closed source library has to be released. The translation layer is
> obviously derived work, but anything past that obviously is not.
> This is basically the same OpenOCD would do: release everything up to
> FTD2XX API.
> > However, I have mentioned that modular drivers could allow a build-kit
> > to only produce that single driver from source, though the "build"
> > requirements still get out of control.  The latest "link-kit" idea would
> > be perfect for this though!  Modular drivers are still a Good Thing.
> >
> Link-kit is definitely better then build-kit, but what are we doing
> here? Dynamic linking is also a "link-kit". In my interpretation of GPL,
> there is nothing illegal to distributing an OpenOCD binary that _CAN_
> link to FTD2XX but doesn't require it. We (OpenOCD community) would not
> distribute FTD2XX ourselves, but point users to the FTDI download page
> and say "if you download the DLL and put it in the OpenOCD directory,
> something magic could happen". I'm assuming here it's not legal to
> distribute FTD2xx, I don't know about that as I don't know what license
> it's available under.
> It's all gray here, but won't somebody please think of the chil^H^H^H^H
> users. We must assume they are not very much into building/linking.

Arg.  The link kit suffers from the same deficiencies: what are
distributed inside the ccache?  The _binary_ object files.  Mega-Duh.
In hindsight, this particular solution is just "unlinked binary"
distribution; it should be considered DOA.  I probably missed that
because I'm going on 26+ hours since sleeping.  Sorry.

> As you might have noticed I'm one of the "loose" people regarding this
> GPL thing, but on the other hand I'm not too keen on binary modular
> drivers. At least the translation layer should be GPL'd and the binary
> part should be publicly available. This opens a lot of doors, but maybe
> some we don't want to open...

Someone should present a complete design document. ;)

Cheers,

Zach