Freddy,
Talking over de network may not be an option for Windows. A couple of
years aho I worked on a portable (Linux / Windows) client - server
application that used tcp/ip. On Linux this worked fine but on Windows
XP we quickly learned that many short packets takes a lot of CPU power
(even when send & received on localhost). We ended up using a shared
memory & signals solution on Windows. A bit more cumbersome to write,
but it performed very well.

Nico Coesel