Zach> However, I would rather see you move some of the things in the C file
Zach> into the H file (all of the #defines and struct declarations, to
start).
Zach> Basically, use it as the driver's private header file.

duane> None of those defines are *PUBLIC*.
duane> None of those structures are *PUBLIC*.

zach> Read what I said again: "private header file". Just because
something is
zach> in a header file does not mean it is a public contract. However,
zach> putting this into your terms: moving those definitions to H file helps
zach> define the "contract" for the C file.

I disagree 100% percent.  You seem to suggest that major systems such as
GCC, GDB, the Linux Kernel, to name but a few - are wrong in this widely
used approach.

A header file is something any one can "#include", and thus defines a
public interface, there is no means to enforce the
'this-is-private-do-not-touch' rule.

How does this "help define the contract for the C file"?

-Duane.