>>> Why are you doing a soft_reset_halt?
>> Why not?
>>
>> If this command is forbidden / wrong / whatever - remove it. If it's not,
>> why do you care if I use it? Without that command it does not work. Or maybe
>> I just don't understand the meaning of "reset init"? For me that is "do a
>> reset, init everything that should be initialized". If that's not the case,
>> then the name should be changed, as it's misleading.
>
> I asked because I recently removed soft_reset_halt from
> lpc2478.cfg because it made things fail.
>
> I have no idea *why* it fails, so I hoped that you could
> shed light on that problem.

We have fiddled so much with the config files in here that I lost track
of affects long time ago. But in our current script we use
soft_rest_halt as well (while using LPC23xx series, I'm not sure if we
have tried it out with LPC2478 - we do have board for this as well).
Bottom line is that it works for us - I don't know about other people or
even less why it works without.

Now following is just flow of mind thus may include major errors but
hopefully will arise some conversation.

What is the purpose of reset-init event? In my opinion it is where we
want to get things back to the beginning. Performing system reset may
reset other hardware on target board as well and may cause some major
trouble while debugging. I don't like doing this anyway as it causes the
EmbeddedICE logic to reset as well and OOCD to lose control for a moment.

Soft reset makes a "fake" reset by altering the program counter, leaving
the hardware to probably steady yet unknown state. This is why we need
additional steps to configure some peripherals or clock source to fixed,
known state as discussed before. Then we let the embedded software to
handle rest of the initializations - just like if it was coming out from
any ordinary reset.

 From what I have experienced, soft_reset_halt is a safe way of reseting
the system. Then again the problems we have had, may all be just our own
fooling with the OOCD and that utterance may not be true. OOCD isn't one
of the easiest choices for debugging on the market.

Regards,
Petri