On Monday 05 October 2009, Austin, Alex wrote:
> Since many people seem to not be fond of sourceforge,

AFAIK that's just the email.  Which has issues like
crappy archives, bad spam filtering, ads, and such.

> have you considered GitHub?

In terms of GIT support is it significantly better
than SourceForge?

> Just put a README.markdown in the
> project and it will become a nice webpage front for the
> project.

We need a bit more than that from the web face.
Current notions include making the website give
better access to the project docs:  the User's
Guide, and the doxygen Developer's Guide output.

> They already provide source browsing and snapshots
> available via HTTP,

Everyone seems to run "gitweb", so that's not going to
be a compelling advantage to any service.

> and make it trivially easy for anyone
> to (a) fork the project

Already easy, courtesy of GIT.  :)

> and (b) make changes in forks
> available to the original project. Plus, we could always use
> their Wiki for a project page.

We'd need someone to volunteer to manage and evolve
a Wiki.  And some folk don't like them.  That particular
change merits a separate discussion.

Note that SourceForge supports wiki stuff too.

- Dave