On Sunday 13 December 2009, David Brownell wrote:
> On Sunday 13 December 2009, Benjamin Schmidt wrote:
> > Not sure if interesting to anyone, but I just ran svn head againt
> > cppcheck...
>
> Much more relevant to see it against current git.

And to clarify why:  several of those path names no longer
exist, and for the paths that *do* exist the line numbers
are surely not generally valid any more ...

The best thing to do with such stuff isn't just to run a
code analysis tool.  (Though if it's against current code,
that can be informative.)

It's to actually submit patches addressing some of those
issues.  Example, those "if (ptr) free(ptr)" tests not
being needed ... one patch to fix all those warnings would
be easy to review, quick to merge.

And yes, I'm all in favor of using code analysis tools to
fix problems.  GCC is quite good about reporting things
that are likely bugs, but it doesn't catch everything (even
the "-Wall" option ignores some stuff) and doesn't address
code noise like those "if/free" things.

- Dave