On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 9:56 PM, Lennert Buytenhek
<buyt...@wantstofly.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 09:46:29PM +0100, Øyvind Harboe wrote:
>
>> > for number_of_mallocs:
>> > {
>> >    - fix the file
>> >    - see if it compiles.
>> >    - create a patch
>> >    - send it too you.
>> > }
>>
>> No.
>>
>> - fix a file(including build it)
>> - commit to local git
>
> While I am of the opinion that git is the greatest thing since sliced
> bread, I don't think that it is a good idea to require that people learn
> some VCS they aren't familiar with to contribute to a project.
>
> E.g. if someone is already familiar with quilt, they can do most of the
> local patch management they need without having to learn git (even if
> the latter is a good idea, it should not be required upfront).
>
> In this case, if someone sends a patch series to the list, I don't
> think it should matter which VCS was used to manage that patch series
> during local development.

I didn't mean to say that he had to learn git, but he has set
himself a daunting task to touch *every* file in the system.

He's going to have to do some branch management and rebasing...

Sure there are other tools but git to handle this sort of thing, I just
don't know them and I'm very happy with git.

--
Øyvind Harboe
US toll free 1-866-980-3434 / International +47 51 63 25 00