On Tuesday 02 February 2010, Spencer Oliver wrote:

> > By the way ... if STR7 can't actually read the protect status from
> > the hardware, why does that flash driver have a str7x_protect_check()
> > method which pretends to do exactly that, instead of just printing
> > a warning that the status can't be read?
> >

> The register reflects the state of a non-volatile register.

Doesn't actually reflect it *except* right after reset,
if I understand correctly...

> So after a reset halt - reading this register returns valid protection data.
>
> Any writes to this register are not reflected by reading the register again.

I see.  Sort of.  Seems like a needlessly bizarre model.
As if some chip designer couldn't be bothered to do it
in a generally useful manner.  :(

The driver could still stand a few comments to capture
all that strange behavior.  I suspect a LOG_WARNING()
in the protect_check() method would reduce some user
confusion ... and the comments about FLASH_NVWPAR acting
like a "write-only" register are a bit off, since there's
at least *one* time when the read value is correct (right
after reset).