David Brownell wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 February 2010, Spencer Oliver wrote:
>>> By the way ... if STR7 can't actually read the protect status from
>>> the hardware, why does that flash driver have a str7x_protect_check()
>>> method which pretends to do exactly that, instead of just printing
>>> a warning that the status can't be read?
>>>
>> The register reflects the state of a non-volatile register.
>
> Doesn't actually reflect it *except* right after reset,
> if I understand correctly...

That's correct, infact the there are two protection registers used.
One is volatile and the other is non-volatile - we can only see the
non-volatile one.

Just we do not know the address of the volatile register.

>> So after a reset halt - reading this register returns valid protection data.
>>
>> Any writes to this register are not reflected by reading the register again.
>
> I see.  Sort of.  Seems like a needlessly bizarre model.
> As if some chip designer couldn't be bothered to do it
> in a generally useful manner.  :(

That's ST for you, must be the French climate :)
The str7x family was a spin off from the STA2051 (vespucci) gps stuff
they did for automotive.

Cheers
Spen