On 2010-10-28 19:53, Andreas Fritiofson wrote:
We should probably change it to the least common denominator within
the family, which is 8kB (maybe even 6?). Definitely, if you don't see
any significant reduction in flashing speed after reducing the
workareasize (8kB vs 2kB). That's likely dependent on the adapter in
use, of course.

The smallest RAM capacity in the STM32 family is 4kB. There are like 10 devices with so little RAM available.

http://www.st.com/stonline/stappl/st/com/selector/index.html#querycriteria=RNP139=1169.0

I'll try to check the flashing speed with various workareasizes later.

Yes. Early silicon had a SRAM size register in factory programmed ROM
but it was later removed for some reason. I don't think OpenOCD used
it even when it existed. We could probably determine the size
indirectly, maybe from a chip id database, but I think it's just as
good to simply provide a minimum safe workareasize and let the user
override it if he wishes.

It's a good idea in my opinion, but I'm not sure whether it's possible - the MCU Device ID register only shows the "family" (low-, medium-, high-density, connectivity, value, etc.), so that's not enough - maybe checking flash size would allow OpenOCD to determine the RAM size... I'll investigate this more later.

4\/3!!