Laurent Gauch wrote:
under target directories we should add the architecture family directories as

- target
    - arm
    - STM32
        stm32f103rb.cfg
        stm32f107v8.cfg
        stm32f100rb.cfg
This gets quite annoying to type when specifying the target, and it makes it necessary to have lots of small files for all the variants.

How about specifying a CPU variant on the commandline instead of the filename? I am thinking about a mechanism where OpenOCD reads some kind of index file, looks up the CPU variant that I passed on the commandline, and calls the generic config file where that CPU is supported, passing the variant via some variable. The generic config file can then deduce RAM size etc. using that variable, instead of splitting this in multiple small files.

The index could be built automatically from the generic config files, in a way that each config file provides a list of the CPU variants that it supports. Extracting the index could be done by two ways:
- at compile/install time, using a simple script
- at runtime, by reading *all* config files and building the list dynamically in memory.

Comments?

cu
Michael