--- On Thu, 11/11/10, Andreas Fritiofson <andreas.fritiof...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's not an assumption, it's in the manual. Do you have an example of
> a microcontroller which doesn't reset the bulk of the  peripherals on a NRST
> or equivalent?

Not handy, no; it surprised me too.  ISTR there
was a register controlling this behavior, and it
seemed to be part of debug support.  On the other
hand, some non-microcontroller SoCs I've used take
a different approach and have a formal controller
dedicated to reset handling, which doesn't hook up
to NSRST but offers per-peripheral controls over reset sequencing.  On those
SoCs, NSRST isn't a
very widely used signal; affects only CPU cores.
Debuggers and boot code are expected to talk to the
reset controller as needed during bringup.

- Dave