Jon Masters wrote:
> Oh, on a randomly off-topic engineering note, I'd love to know why the
> Flyswatter contains component Q1 (the NPN transistor) so that to do a
> system reset you don't just pull nSRST low but actually set A_nSRST high
> and have that go into Q1, which results in pulling system reset low
> indirectly. Is this because we might end up sinking a lot of current?
> Does anyone with an EE/circuit design background happen to know?

It's not so much about current as it is about voltage. The chip
driving the transistor only has to provide a high enough voltage to
saturate the NPN. This is fairly easy with any digital chip. In
return, the transistor effectively acts as an open collector output,
which will accept a wide range of voltage levels, according to the
transistor data, and can still pull the signal to GND when the
transistor is saturated.

With a good choice of transistor the driving chip can be 3V3 and the
driven /SRST signal can be much much lower. I think this is what
Flyswatter does.

//Peter