On 10/05/11 18:57, Michel JAOUEN wrote:
Hello,
For supporting optimized jtag chain length, you should look at CJTAG
specification, with star topology support.
CJTAG is not yet supported by openocd.

Best regards
Hello Michel,

I had a look at the 1149.7 standard which seemed very promising at first.

However, a couple of issues give me the impression that 1149.1 is the safest approach :

1- No support in OpenOCD. I guess this should't be too much of an issue since only the JTAG driver would need to be rewritten. The ZBS is already implemented (simply a special "pathmove" sequence). Therefore, only the escape sequences where TMS is used as a clock while holding TCK at '1' really needs to be added.

2- JTAG adapter lack of support for 1149.7 features. I currently have a JLink adapter, and I'm afraid the 'TMS as clock' feature is not handled as efficiently as a normal TDI/TMS scan (a separate command is necessary to change the value of TMS, whereas a scan operation can be performed in bulk). However, I don't know how much of a performance hit I should expect from this...
Can you comment on this ?
Do you know if other adapters would handle this better ?

Do you think those issues justify sticking with 1149.1 or am I being too conservative ?

Kind regards,
Sébastien.