On 11/05/11 15:14, Michel JAOUEN wrote:
Hello,

-A-
With 1149.1, hardware is available on table for testing.
Openocd requires the introduction of a mode
"tap enable on fly"
For doing that, at every device change :
- reset JTAG =>  jtag chain length is jrc tap length
- reprogram icepick (jrc) in order to include the required tap.
then the jtag chain is the jrc tap length + the length of selected tap.

Jrc is 6 bits length. For cortex_a dap length is 4 bits.
(jrc cannot be set in by pass)

drawback : when device is selected 40% only of bit transfer is dedicated to the
device selected.

-B-
With 1149.7 :
Few hardware available for testing star...
No openocd optimized hardware for the support of new command on TCK/TMSC.

Openocd requires :
- CJTAG adaptation for these commands (at initialization, at star selection)

Gain , the length of jrc tap can be remove.
Risk : hardware availability

So regarding hardware availability, the safest is 1149.1 and for
openocd adaptation , part of the stuff done for step A , can be re-used for
step B.

Best regards
Thanks for the details ! I'm glad to see I was not entirely mistaken. :-)