Am 06/11/2011 09:55 AM, schrieb Freddie Chopin:
> On 2011-06-10 22:06, Peter Stuge wrote:
>> And that just because the code does not have information, it should
>> not make guesses.
>
> Restoring initial state of FT2232 interface is just like "pulling a
> plug" - disconnecting JTAG from board. I really see no danger in such
> operation... Physical disconnection can be even more random (some
> signals get disconnected sooner than other etc.) and noone sees that
> as a hazardous situation.
Um - you mean with power applied to the target?

That *is* hazardous. It may work most of the time, but it may also lead
to latch-up, frying the JTAG dongle or the target.

Interfaces that allow hot-plug make special considerations to make that
safe - including longer pins for GND, and some kind of extra protection
on the data pins. CMOS signals on a 20-pin IDC connector are not safe
for hotplug.

> Most probably some of you are trying to be uber-correct without any
> reason. The target will handle such SINGLE transient state without any
> problems - no risk of erasing flash or firing a nuke. It will most
> probably start running after reset and that's what we want. If you
> want it in some specific state, just leave OpenOCD running - what's
> the problem with that approach?
I could live with that (like with other minor quirks), but I don't see
the advantage with leaving the target in an undefined, unknown state.
Since it was argued that this is the only "correct" way to exit OpenOCD,
I need to object.

I try to first design stuff in a way that is correct, and only back off
and implement shortcuts when there is some benefit of doing so.

cu
Michael