On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 12:28 PM, Luca Bruno <lu...@debian.org> wrote:

> > > Still not working for srcdir != builddir
> > >
> > > make[1]: Entering directory `/home/soliver/openocd/openocd-rel'
> > > if test -d ../openocd/.git -a \( ! -e openocd-0.5.0-dev/ChangeLog -o
> > > -w openocd-0.5.0-dev/ChangeLog \) ; then \
> > >                ../openocd/tools/git2cl/git2cl >
> > > openocd-0.5.0-dev/ChangeLog ; \
> > >        fi
> > > fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
> > >

> > Current directory needs to be $(srcdir) before running git2cl.
>
> I suspect this will get tricky, as $(distdir) is relative to
> $(builddir).

If that's always the case it's not that tricky:
cd $(srcdir); tools/git2cl/git2cl > $(builddir)/$(distdir)/ChangeLog

If it's not necessarily relative, this should work better:
cd $(srcdir); tools/git2cl/git2cl > $(abspath $(distdir)/ChangeLog)
Although abspath requires GNU Make 3.81.

If the pipe method work, fine. However, looking through the git2cl code it
apparently assumes git log is run with LC_ALL=C and that wouldn't be the
case with the latest incarnation of the patch.

/Andreas