On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Tormod Volden <lists.tor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Drasko DRASKOVIC
> <drasko.drasko...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 6:53 AM, Øyvind Harboe <oyvind.har...@zylin.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I am genuinely interested in hearing the pros and cons of rebasing
>>> vs. merging pull requests.
>>>
>>> rebasing yields a nice linear history, which I like. Perhaps I'm just
>>> old fashioned and used to it from Subversion days...
>>
>> Hi Øyvind,
>> as I understand, merging would merge in all ones personal commits to a
>> personal git tree in a OpenOCD log history once it is is merged on the
>> master branch.
>>
>> Rebase will leave just one commit on the top of the master.
>
> No, I think you are talking about squashing all your new commits into
> one commit (which /can/ be done during a rebase). Rebasing itself just
> reorders all commits so that your added commits are nicely on top of
> the latest head, whereas a merge would possibly have your commits
> spread down the git history between other commits.

Yes, I was thinking about this...

>> I am opting for the rebase - why do we need many personal commit logs
>> in the official OpenOCD tree.
>
> If you are correcting one of your commits in a second commit (both not
> applied to master yet) then squashing these together make sense before
> sending your pull requests. If your work consists of many small,
> relatively independent (builds and runs at each step) then they should
> be kept separately, for the sake of later review and bisecting.

I agree.

What I'd like to avoid is this situation : you do development on your
independent branch, making many temporary commits which leave
temporary logs. These temporary logs should not be seen in the
official master's history, but only one commit/merge done by the
official maintainer. I think that merging a branch would show all your
temporary steps arriving to the final result...

BR,
Drasko