On 08/23/2011 09:47 AM, Evan Hunter wrote:
The way it has been designed means that no memory locations are touched until
symbol locations are provided by GDB.  The symbols names which are available
tell the system which RTOS is in use.

On most platforms OpenOCD would have initialised the memory system by the time
GDB attaches.  However, you are correct, on some platforms the memory
controller may have to be enabled in the software. Hence, I would suggest only
enabling the feature for Cortex-M3 devices or just STM32 devices to start with,
since it has only been implemented/tested for these so far...
What if I have a system with an RTOS and want to debug the startup code using GDB? In that case, memory is *not* yet initialized, yet the symbol table would enable RTOS support.

If we have a separate bootloader, this is no issue, but if the target application is a single image containing startup code, RTOS and applicationn, it will be.

cu
Michael