On 2011.10.26 06:07, Øyvind Harboe wrote:
On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 2:12 AM, Peter Stuge<pe...@stuge.se>  wrote:
jim norris wrote:
For those using a git gui, what are you using?

On which system?

For Windows, there is Git Extensions and TortoiseGit. The Git
Extensions looked less slick than TortoiseGit last time I looked, but
TortoisGit on the other hand lacked fundamental functionality.

I recommend Gerrit. Gerrit makes a lot of the nastier concepts,
like interactive rebasing and communication easier.

 From my experience TortoiseGit is a step down the wrong path.

It makes things easier than possible, i.e. it tosses hard concepts
out of the window. Where is the interactive rebase functionality?

You mean, this [1]?

For the record, I have been using TortoiseGit pretty much on a daily basis, for almost two years now and from my personal experience, not only have I found it filling pretty much all of my git needs (besides, it's based on msys-git, so commandline git is only one click away), but also, unlike Peter, I found that if there's one tool that benefits greatly from having a solid GUI, it has to be git. Who'd want to go back to using commandline for diffs, log, or branch switching, when you have a GUI with *easy* navigation at your fingertips [2]?.

Also, judging from the general praise for gerrit, which also provides a solid GUI frontend albeit web based (hence more complex for regular git users to setup on their own -- I wouldn't advocate it as a solution for a user who simply wants a GUI on their machine), I can only assume that many have come to share the view that some GUI ontop of git actually does wonders.

Thus, do you guys, who seem to be opposed to the use of TortoiseGit, have better evidence to back up your claims?

If not, I would advise Jim to take Øyvind and Peter's advice with a grain of salt, or at least also consider the advice of someone who, through nearly two years of continuous usage, has reason to believe that using TortoiseGit has actually increased their git productivity. Of course, just like Peter and Øyvind's, this is merely an opinion.

Regards,

/Pete

[1] http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/697/tgitinteractiverebase.png
[2] http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/3281/tgitdiff.png