On Thu, Jan 23, 2003, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi,

> Here's what I'm doing:
>
> -------------------------------------
> $ openpkg build -UA > b.all.1
> FATAL: cannot find source for 'KSH'
[...]
> This may not be a "bug" with openpkg-tool per se, but with whatever files it's
> looking at to determine the dependencies. I realize both versions of ksh are
> probably interchangeable -- in which case there is no "right" version of ksh,
> but the power of a tool like "openpkg" lies in being able to build everything
> with one command, as I'm attempting to do.

You are correct. The problem is that there is no "right" version of ksh.
The same is true for a few other dependencies like MTA or MYSQL where you
have to make a choice.

The solution is to make the choice by specifying the particular package
on the command line. openpkg-tool will take such a precedence (as well
as any previously installed package) as a hint to resolve the ambiguity.
Unfortunately this does not yet work together with -A.

On the other side you may note that -A (== building all packages) does
not work against the OpenPKG repository at all because packages exist
that have conflicts and that are therefore mutually exclusive. The
option was left in the tool to support administrators who create their
own non-conflicting repository.

So you do have to make a list of packages that you do want to install.
Here is the list that we use for a "base" installation:

amd autoconf bash binutils bison bzip2 flex gcc gdb gzip lftp
libtool lynx m4 make mutt ntp openpkg-tool openssh patch perl
rsync screen shtool slang ssmtp sudo texinfo vim w3m

which is of course a bit centric to development work :-)

BTW, a common set of options is

$ openpkg build -Ua | sh

which will automatically upgrade all previously installed packages
to the versions in the repository. This will pick up possible security
fixes that might be added to OpenPKG-1.2 in the future and we use it
ourselves to maintain OpenPKG-current installations.

Greetings,
--
                                       Michael van Elst
                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]