I'm attempting to bootstrap the current openpkg on a FreeBSD 4.7 system,
and have run into similar problems where the configure isn't finding the
``ar'' program with openssh-3.6p1-20030331 and lftp-2.6.5-20030228.

The ``ar'' program is definately there, part of binutils.  The same
packages build fine on SuSE 8.1 Linux.  The %{__ar} macro is defined to be
simply ``ar''.

I've attached a list of the installed packages on the system, all of which
have been installed using ``openpkg build''.

If I force AR in the configure in the lftp.spec file, it gets further then
fails compling buffer.cc with:
        ../include/trio.h:191: warning: `vfscanf' redefined
        /usr/include/stdio.h:330: warning: this is the location of the \
                previous definition

This is fixable by putting an ``# undef vfscanf'' in the trio.h header, but
then other errors occur later in the build which are stretching my
knowledge of C++ (which isn't hard :-).

Given that these problems are under FreeBSD, I have to think that these
SRPMS are being developed and tested on a version other than 4.7.  If
that's the case, I'll be glad to hack on these, and send the results back
in for inclusion in the packages.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.

``Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets.''
amd-6.0.9-20030226
autoconf-2.57-20021204
automake-1.7.3-20030221
bash-2.05b-20021127