On Fri, Aug 22, 2003, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>On Fri, Aug 22, 2003, Bill Campbell wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> >Hmm... good point, but because the stuff is for SWAT only, how about
>> >making it a with_swat option and even remove swat also if this option is
>> >not a set?
>>
>> That would certainly work.
>>
>> Personally I would prefer a general with_docs option that would be common
>> to all packages because I like to have examples and documentation handy on
>> the systems.  Yesterday I was on-site at a customer with no internet
>> access, and it's much easier to have the docs readily available than to
>> have to unpack the SRPMS to get at it.
>> [...]
>
>Yes, sure. In the long-term we should provide something like global
>with_dso (for shared library) and with_doc (for included documentation)
>and similar options. This is on our TODO list.

Sounds good to me.

Regarding the with_dso option, I think that's really necessary
for a few programs (myodbc, unixodbc, perl if one is to build
postgres with perl support, etc.), and should be added to them
before a general solution is implemented.  So long as they use
the option names that will be used in the overall solution, they
won't require further work then.

Bill

``If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the
government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those
guarantees.''
   -President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
Developer Communication List                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]