On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 09:17 +0100, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 03, 2005, David M. Fetter wrote:
>
> > Something seems wrong with how Expect and Tcl interacts in regards to
> > dependencies.  The problem occurs if you have a prior version of Tcl and
> > Expect installed, then go to upgrade to any other version.  What happens
> > is that the update fails when trying to upgrade Tcl using the build
> > tools.  It seems to be because Expect has a specific version of Tcl
> > required in it's Requires section.  Since Expect has Tcl as a
> > requirement then the build tool sees that Tcl should be upgraded before
> > Expect as per the order it derives based on what exists in the Require
> > section of all of the rpms.  However, since Expect has a specific
> > version of Tcl required, the update of the newer Tcl fails because the
> > currently old Expect that is installed requires an older specific
> > version of Tcl.  I'm thinking that line #61 of the expect.spec file
> > should be:
> >
> > PreReq:       OpenPKG, openpkg >= 2.3.0, tcl >= %{V_tcl}
> >
> > Instead of:
> >
> > PreReq:       OpenPKG, openpkg >= 2.3.0, tcl = %{V_tcl}
> >
> > Line #60, which is the BuildPreReq, has the same line.  I'm not sure if
> > this should be changed though.  I'm thinking that only the PreReq should
> > be changed while the BuildPreReq stays with the specific version as that
> > seems that it would logically function as is needed and not break
> > updating from an older version to newer as well.  Does this logic seem
> > proper to you guys?
>
> Hmmm... yes, this is a reasonable idea. The BuildPreReq we definitely
> cannot change because Expect requires definitely _both_ the sources and
> the installed files and if they do not match it too easily can break
> under build-time. But relaxing the PreReq is a very good idea because
> a break under run-time is less likely and it would be broken usually
> during updates only. I've relaxed the dependency now as you suggested:
> http://cvs.openpkg.org/chngview?cn=22400
> Thanks for the idea.

Super!  Yes, it seems that the main problem with RPM or rather it's one
weakness is still based on human error.  If the dependencies are not
properly thought it in a clear logical method then all things good will
become chaos.  Thanks.  ;-)

--
David M. Fetter - UNIX Systems Administrator
Portland State University - www.oit.pdx.edu