On Mon, May 29, 2006, Steffen Weinreich wrote:

> Ralf S. Engelschall schrieb:
> > In case it is an Apache and/or mod_ssl and/or OpenSSL bug you should
> > retry with the latest versions from CURRENT. There we have newer
> > versions of all three components and they all three contains lots of
> > bugfixes. [..]
>
> > I it's really a GCC bug you should retry on rm9 after installing the
> > latest "gcc" (which is now at GCC 4.1.1 instead of 4.0.3) from CURRENT
> > into /openpkg-dev...
> Retried from current on rm9 using
>
>    openssl-0.9.8b-20060505
>    gcc-4.1.1-20060528
>    apache-1.3.36-20060528
>
> The problem is reproducible, and SSL works as soon as the the compiler
> optimizations are turned off. (due to a with_debug or a modified spec
> file without {l_cflags -O})

If it also fails with GCC 4.1.1 the chance was a bit reduced that it
is a compiler bug. Although it still looks like a compiler bug. But
BTW, isn't this problem exactly the same Mr. Peter Zimmer already
reported twice during the last months here?

What you can try is the combination of debug symbols _PLUS_ optimization
flags? Yes, you hear correctly: GCC is smart enough to allow things like
"-O2 -g". You have to hack this into the specfile manually. And the
result is often a still rather obscure debugging experience, but better
than nothing. It at least hopefully allows to find the _function_ inside
Apache/mod_ssl/OpenSSL which causes the problem plus a stack backtrace.
With this information one then can splice a few printf()'s into the
sources to find the real problem even without the debugger...

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       www.engelschall.com

Developer Communication List                   openpkg-dev@openpkg.org