On Wed, Jul 11, 2007, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 11, 2007, Thomas Lotterer wrote:
>
> > The topic is about how to handle with_foo for a with_foo_bar option that
> > only makes sense in concert with with_foo.
> >
> > > On Tue, Jul 10, 2007, Christoph Schug wrote:
> > >
> > > For me, it looks more like the second [implicit] case, but I might be
> > > wrong. If not, there should be some fiddling in the "fixing implicit
> > > extension dependencies and correlations" section, right?
> > >
> > I remember the "implicit dependency" issue but wasn't sure what the best
> > practice is to make clear to the user that with_imap_annotate implies
> > with_imap. My ideas were:
> >
> > - use "if with_foo || with_foo_bar" in the "with_foo" logic
> >   this will build with_foo if only with_foo_bar is given but
> >   "rpm -qi" will show up with_foo=no. Bad
> >
> > - implicitly set "with_foo=yes" when the user chooses "with_foo_bar"
> >   AFAIK the current practice. Build and query ok, but somewhat magic.
> >
> > - make the package require itself, enforcing an explicit setting
> >   Something like "if with_foo_bar then require self::with_foo=yes"
> >
> > If the latter works, I'd prefer it. Never tested it.
>
> As I think RPM will not allow the latter, just use the second one.
> This is what we already have in a bunch of similar packages.

Okay, I just commited it the secondy way [1]. Anyway, another
disadvantage of this method should be mentioned. When altering options
implicitly this change is not reflected in the package description, i.e.
doing an 'openpkg rpm -qi php' still shows 'with_foo=no' even if it was
triggered to 'yes' by enabling 'with_foo_bar'.

Well, another question regarding both PHP packages, 'php' and
'apache-php'. Why is there a run-time requirement for a MTA by default?
I thought this is exactly why we have the 'with_sendmail' option. If no
one speaks up, I will drop the default MTA dependency.

[1] http://cvs.openpkg.org/chngview?cn=36183

-cs
OpenPKG                                             http://openpkg.org
Developer Communication List                   openpkg-dev@openpkg.org