Although this is slightly off topic I am able to build gcc-3.4.4 on AIX 5.1 using the following script after untarring the tar ball and cd'ing into the gcc-3.4.4 directory.

#!/usr/bin/bash
#
# script to build gcc-3.4.4

mkdir obj
cd obj

# use a proper value later
export BUILDHOST=powerpc-ibm-aix5.1.0.0

# may not be needed?
export TMP=/openpkg/RPM/TMP
export TMPDIR=/openpkg/RPM/TMP

date

# use the 2 cpus I have to make things a bit faster
MULTIPLECPUS=-j3

export CONFIG_SHELL=/opt/freeware/bin/bash
export CONFIGURE_ENV_ARGS=/opt/freeware/bin/bash

CC=gcc \
CFLAGS="-O2" \
CXXFLAGS="-O2" \
LIBCFLAGS="-O2" \
LIBCXXFLAGS="-O2 -fno-implicit-templates" \
../configure \
--with-as=/usr/bin/as \
--with-ld=/usr/bin/ld \
--disable-nls \
--enable-languages=c,c++ \
--prefix=/openpkg \
--enable-threads \
--enable-version-specific-runtime-libs \
--host=$BUILDHOST
gmake $MULTIPLECPUS bootstrap-lean

date

This takes 3 hours 40 minutes on my hardware...

I haven't tried to install since the build works I now need to make the build steps look more like the gcc.spec build steps so I can actually build the gcc rpm properly.

It looks like I've got a bit more playing to do but once I can get some sort of gcc-3.4.4 openpkg rpm built I can use it for building other openpkg rpms.

Not exactly progress but at least it gives me a "working base" to move against.

Regards,

Simon