Simon J Mudd wrote:
Doug Summers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I ran into this same issue (see thread "AIX linking with
LIBICONV"). What I did to solve it was:

1) Remove RPM version of libiconv
2) Rebuild OpenPKG GCC after building/installing OpenPKG libiconv
3) Rebuild any other package that linked to libiconv (texinfo was one
that came to light early on)

I found that the best packages to build before GCC are make, m4,
binutils (obviously not AIX), and libiconv. Then I build gcc, perl,
and coreutils.

Doug

PS - I did list this in my e-mail regarding my builds on AIX 5.1.

Yes, I just didn't realise this.

However,

1) I don't have (IBM) rpm version of libiconv installed, so I don't
   need to uninstall it.

2) The gcc I built can not (?) be using libiconv since it was built
   without it anyway.

What I have not tried to do is to rebuild gcc after installing
libiconv. If it fails with "silly" C programs I would imagine it's
going to fail rebuilding itself, but perhaps I am wrong.  I'll have to
try this out.

It seems that it would be useful if we can give a clear list of
building instructions for OpenPKG so that people only need to follow
them to get OpenPKG working.  The current situation is obviously not
quite the same as a standard OpenPKG install and could quite easily
confuse people.

It may have been linked to the system version of libiconv; all of my AIX starting from 4.3.3 have it installed. When I have more time I will start documenting my installation on AIX; right now I'm trying to get a clean set installed on my last HPUX machine - 11.23/IA64.

Doug