On Thu, Feb 16, 2006, Doug Summers wrote:

> [...]
> Bill - every example I could find deals with size, not age. Is rotation
> by age possible? Our security requirements state we need to keep certain
> logs for 60 days and the size of certain logs get much bigger than
> others (postfix compared to sudo, for example).

Well, AFAIK your "60 days" requirement simply means that you want to
rotate 60 times, once per day and by ignoring the size at all. For
GNU shtool this is something like "shtool rotate -n60" or even more
explicitly "shtool rotate -n60 -s0". Such a command in an rc file's
%daily section should do what you wish.

> Here's where I'm confused: rc.sudo has the setting sudo_log_minsize="1M"
> - is there a corresponding maxsize parameter?

What should this mean for log rotation? A minimum size means that the
file is not rotated until this size is reached. A maximum size would
mean that the file is rotated unless the size is reached which IMHO
makes not much sense for a logfile rotation procedure.

> If size rotation is
> available does the variable need to be defined in rc.conf and the
> rc.program files?

All(!) parameters from any %config section of any rc.foo file is set in
rc.conf. Never change a rc.foo directly. Your changes will be lost if
you upgrade the package as rc.foo files (intentionally) are no %config
files.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       www.engelschall.com