On Tue, Feb 21, 2006, Andreas Schmidt wrote:

> [...]
> postgis has no configure-option to build a static library.
> but since postgresql-openpkg-rpm creates a static library for the
> plpgsql extension, i expected that postgis would run too.
>
> but when i activate a postgis-function in postgres i get an error:
>
> ERROR:  could not load library "/opt/pintomap/lib/liblwgeom.so.1.1":
> /opt/pintomap/lib/liblwgeom.so.1.1: undefined symbol: _Znwj
>
> it seems that the shared library misses needs c++-libraries.

Yes, seems like the GEOM library from GEOS requires C++ stuff.

> this makes
> sense, since geos is written in c++. unfortunatly i have no idea how to
> link the c++-stuff to the shared library. i tried to add c++-support to
> postgresql by using the build-option with_cxx, but that didn't change
> anything.

Adding C++ support to PostgreSQL just means that the C++ bindings for
PostgreSQL are built. What you need is that the PostGIS+GEOM+PROJ
DSO has to be linked against something like libstdc++ to resolve all
dependencies.

> since i'm still quite unfamiliar with building openpkg-rpm any hint is
> welcome.

You first have to build GEOM and PROJ statically and then fiddle around
with the LIBS and LDFLAGS of PostGIS to make sure that libstd++ is
added, too. And the resulting DSO only has to have unresolved symbols
for PostgreSQL symbols. But I can imagine that all of this requires some
larger hacking efforts ;-)
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       www.engelschall.com