On Sat, Jun 10, 2006, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>On Fri, Jun 09, 2006, Bill Campbell wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jun 08, 2006, OpenPKG wrote:
>> >It is our pleasure to make the new official OpenPKG Demonstration Video
>> >available to the community, featuring OpenPKG 2.5 on FreeBSD 6, Debian
>> >GNU/Linux 3.1 and OpenSolaris 10 b34 in parallel.
>> >
>> >  http://www.openpkg.org/documentation/showcase/
>> >
>> >The goal of this video is to illustrate OpenPKG's important
>> >cross-platform and multiple-instance capabilities in a more appealing
>> >and intuitive way than what is possible with the usual tutorial style
>> >step-by-step command lists or simple screenshots.
>>
>> Any hints as to how to either view this with QuickTime or convert
>> the .avi file to .mov?
>>
>> While searching versiontracker.com for something, I did find
>> Flip4Mac which allows one to use QuickTime for Windows Media
>> Player files.
>
>Hmmmmm... you don't want to really convert the AVI/TSCC based video into
>a MOV/MPEG4 based one as the quality drops down dramatically, Bill. TSCC
>is a real _lossless_ codec (which is what is required for good quality
>screen capturing) while MPEG4 is a _lossy_ codec (which is what works
>best for motion pictures but works horribly for screen captures).
>
>If you really want to do this conversion you have to keep the video
>at 1600x1200 (never try to reduce its size or it will be even more
>horrible in quality) and increase the MPEG encoding quality to maximum.
>This way the result will have the usual MPEG artifacts, but will still
>look acceptable. The drawback is that the file size will increase
>dramatically (from about 500MB to certainly somewhere between 1-2GB as
>the introduced blurring doesn't compress very well).
>
>But isn't there a media player for MacOS which is able to directly play
>AVI/TSCC videos?

OK.  I've tried several things unsuccessfully.  I downloaded the
TSCC codec for QuickTime from the link on the web page, but can't
see that did anything.  All I get with QuickTime or iMovie after
importing the .avi file is the sound.  BTW:  I did upgrade to
QuickTime Pro which didn't make any difference.

MPlayer didn't do anything more than create a large window doing
nothing, and wouldn't play back simple video files cleanly.

Bill

``I don't care how little your country is, you got a right to run it like
you want to.  When the big nations quit meddling, then the world will have
peace.''
    Will Rogers