Some of the resistance to the registry could probably be alleviated if
there was a way to download a token from the web interface which could
be used to fully register/de-register/activate instances and otherwise
view your registry information without having to go through the web
interface.

With this token captured in a file, it could be used by the installer
scripts as well as the register command.

/skaar

* Thomas Lotterer ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) [060629 02:34]:
> [...]
> >
> The period was set to an hour already and if I remember this change has been
> made upon your request. Also a bit off topic, I do not accept people
> attempting
> to make their problems mine. Greylisting is sensitive to all kinds of timing
> issues and the people who use it (should) have made their decision to use that
> technology based on that design issue. Back to the topic, the registry must
> not
> assume message transfers happening close to realtime. UUCP still exists in
> 2006. The timeout has been extended to some hours now.
>
> > An additional idiocy is that after the registration timed out the system
> > dissallows to start over :-((
> >
> It seems a restart has been denied because the registration succeeded. We
> should consider improving the (error) messages.
>
> > This is now the third time that I tried to register and the system is still
> > not working reasonably.
> >
> We constantly receive registrations so the process is feasible. Unfortunately,
> we cannot ask the people who failed because we do not know them. Gotcha.
>
> > In case the fascist(*) registry process does not get relaxed very soon I
> > will
> > stop recommending OpenPKG as a solution and will move away my systems and
> > OSS
> > projects from using OpenPKG.
> >
> I hope you are fully satisfied now and we can count on your evangelism.
>
> > (*) I consider very tight timing requirements
> >
> Has been discussed above.
>
> > and removing of already working
> > features (like unrestricted download of
> >
> Imagine that: before the registry, every piece of OpenPKG was available free
> of
> change to anonymous users. At this point, any "change is bad" from the
> egocentric users point of view (dejavu, eh).  Today OpenPKG is available free
> of charge to known users. The effort for users is to reveal their identity in
> form of a working E-Mail address.
>
> > old versions
> >
> Others simply discard old versions. We do, too. You probably should setup a
> mirror. You know we still support rsync also it is counterproductive for the
> registry idea.
>
> > and breaking exisiting
> > installations and setups as an unfriendly action.
> >
> I must point out that this statement is unacceptable wrong. The concept
> ensures
> existing installations and setups do not break - they continue to run as they
> did before!  It might not be possible to repeat pre-registry steps to create a
> new setup, so documentation and/or scripts might be updated.  Various kinds of
> self created automatisms might fail to download new updates unless modified to
> work with the new registry world order. The obmtool being used by the Kolab
> community has been modified very shortly after the registry was established.
>
> It is refreshing for me to learn what users demand from a free offering.

|\|\             where in the       |          s_u_b_s_t_r_u_c_t_i_o_n