On Mon, Sep 18, 2006, Doug Summers wrote:

> Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> >On Mon, Sep 18, 2006, Doug Summers wrote:
> >
> >>AIX 5.2 w/ML9. I've tried to build OpenPKG-stable with gcc 4.0.0 (IBM
> >>rpm) and 4.0.1 (UCLA binary) and both crash during the building of perl:
> >>
> >>Which of these apply, if any? [aix]
> >>Operating system name? [aix]
> >>Operating system version? [5.2.0.0]
> >>Build Perl for SOCKS? [n]
> >>Use the PerlIO abstraction layer? [y]
> >>Build a threading Perl? [n]
> >>Build Perl for multiplicity? [n]
> >>Use which C compiler? [/usr/bin/gcc]
> >>Checking for GNU cc in disguise and/or its version number...
> >>
> >>At this point the system coredumps and reboots.
> >
> >Well, sorry, that's too less information for anybody to be able to have
> >any clue what the root of the problem is and how to solve or workaround
> >it. You have to dig a little bit deeper yourself here, Doug. The OpenPKG
> >Foundation has no AIX box available on which we could reproduce the
> >problem ourself...

> Sorry about that, Ralph. I realized how vague this message was right
> after I sent it. I'm trying another build now - what files should I be
> looking for?

Well, in this case I think you have to look inside the Configure script
of Perl, there for code around the string "Checking for GNU cc in
disguise and/or its version number" and try this code manually on the
command-line to make sure that it still fails. If it's a piece of C
code, compile it with "gcc -g" (debug symbols enabled) and run it with
"gdb" and once it segfaults run "bt". The output of the "bt" command
usually gives us at least a hint where the problem migth be. It could be
also that the vendor GCC has some optimizer problems. In this case try
to compile the piece of C code with and without -O0.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       www.engelschall.com