On Wed, Mar 21, 2007, David M. Fetter wrote:
>On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 13:25 -0700, Bill Campbell wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 21, 2007, David M. Fetter wrote:
>> >It seems that for some reason gcc is not acknowledging
>> >our /usr/local/include directory in it's includes when building.  In
>> >fact, there is this specific bit in the spec file:
>> >
>> >    %{l_shtool} subst -v -s \
>> >        -e 's;PREFIX_INCLUDE_DIR;PREFIX_INCLUDE_DIR_DISABLED;g' \
>> >        gcc/configure
>> >
>> >We happen to use /usr/local as our openpkg prefix since this is an
>> >unused location for us across all of our systems and it is a common
>> >place where software like this is typically found so it makes it easy
>> >for the end users to find.  In any case, we're still looking into this
>> >but it seems that by removing this bit from the spec file, it causes
>> >another series of dilemmas.  One such dilemma is that multilib is being
>> >enabled on RHEL4 64-bit when apparently that's not a good thing on that
>> >particular platform.  Any help with this would be great.  Thanks.  :-)
>>
>> A symlink from a ``normal'' OpenPKG instance to /usr/local?
>>
>> I often make symlinks such as %{l_prefix}/bin/perl to /usr/local/bin/perl
>> to deal with software that may have this hard coded.
>
>That's not really a viable option for us now.  We have been
>using /usr/local as the prefix for openpkg since it has been setup here.
>However, even so, should there really be prefix locations that are
>essentially "off limits" for openpkg installations?  It seems like the
>option to set the prefix to /usr/local is there so it should be a usable
>option.  I'm thinking the problem should be fixed within gcc.

I would avoid /usr/local as a prefix, particularly since FreeBSD systems
use that extensively for anything not in the core distribution (as $DEITY
intended :-).  We also have several ISP customers who, after long training
and browbeating, have learned to put their site-specific scripts under
/usr/local, not in /usr/bin or simlar travesties.

Bill

``It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees!''
    -- Emiliano Zapata.
OpenPKG                                             http://openpkg.org