On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 13:40 -0700, Bill Campbell wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2007, David M. Fetter wrote:

> >> A symlink from a ``normal'' OpenPKG instance to /usr/local?
> >>
> >> I often make symlinks such as %{l_prefix}/bin/perl to /usr/local/bin/perl
> >> to deal with software that may have this hard coded.
> >
> >That's not really a viable option for us now.  We have been
> >using /usr/local as the prefix for openpkg since it has been setup here.
> >However, even so, should there really be prefix locations that are
> >essentially "off limits" for openpkg installations?  It seems like the
> >option to set the prefix to /usr/local is there so it should be a usable
> >option.  I'm thinking the problem should be fixed within gcc.
>
> I would avoid /usr/local as a prefix, particularly since FreeBSD systems
> use that extensively for anything not in the core distribution (as $DEITY
> intended :-).  We also have several ISP customers who, after long training
> and browbeating, have learned to put their site-specific scripts under
> /usr/local, not in /usr/bin or simlar travesties.

I totally understand.  However, environments can be and typically are
very different from one another.  We don't use FreeBSD, we only use
Solaris and RHEL.  We don't have people putting things in /usr/local
either.  In fact, since we have now been using /usr/local for our core
software for the past couple years now, our end-users have become
accustomed to that location as to where they can find what they need.
We have also wrapped cfengine around openpkg in a very intricate manner.
Changing the /usr/local prefix for us would mean a major project for
restructuring our environment.  In the end, it seems that only gcc
itself is having some oddity and that if said oddity is fixed then it no
longer becomes an issue.  Ultimately, we just want to get gcc fixed and
working how we need without having to restructure our entire
environment.  ;-)

--
David M. Fetter - UNIX Systems Administrator
Portland State University - www.oit.pdx.edu