We've now investigated on the OpenPKG Java tool chain. Previously we
just had a "j2se" package providing the binary distributions of the Sun
JDK 1.5.0. This package is now gone. The new improved OpenPKG Java world
order looks like this:

There is a central "java" package which is the new top-level Java
toolkit frontend. It is just a wrapper the backend "java-xxx" packages
register with. Currently there are three such backend packages
available: "java-jdk15" is the Sun JDK 1.5, "java-jdk16" is the Sun JDK
1.6 and "java-gcj" is a new alternative GCC/GCJ based minimum JDK-style
backend.

The "java-gcj" is *NOT* a full-featured JDK but provides the Java 1.6
capable Eclipse Java compiler and the Java 1.4 capable GCC/GIJ JVM. This
is good enough to run most Java 1.4 non-GUI applications just fine.
This way we have at least a minimum free (licensing!) and source-based
(boostrapping!) Java tool chain, too. I'm still investigating on the
possibility to provide an additional "java-openjdk" backend with
the help of RedHat's latest IcedTea, but this still doesn't work as
expected.

So, if you have the j2se package installed, please replace it with at
least "java" + "java-jdk15". Under run-time the new Java infrastructure
looks like this:

| $ JAVA_PLATFORM="sun-jdk-1.5.0" /openpkg/bin/java -version
| java version "1.5.0"
| Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build diablo-1.5.0-b01)
| Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build diablo-1.5.0_07-b01, mixed mode)

| $ JAVA_PLATFORM="gnu-gcj-1.4.2" /openpkg/bin/java -version
| java version "1.4.2"
| gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.2.1 (OpenPKG-CURRENT)
|
| Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
| This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
| warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

| $ /openpkg/bin/java -Vgnu-gcj-1.4.2 -version
| java version "1.4.2"
| gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.2.1 (OpenPKG-CURRENT)
|
| Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
| This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
| warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

| $ /openpkg/bin/java -Vsun-jdk-1.5.0 -version
| java version "1.5.0"
| Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build diablo-1.5.0-b01)
| Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build diablo-1.5.0_07-b01, mixed mode)

As you see, one can have multiple backends installed and select them
under run-time. The default backend the system administrator can
activate with "/openpkg/bin/java-toolkit --activate=<platform>" where
<platform> is e.g. "sun-jdk-1.5.0". The available <platform> identifiers
can be listed with "/openpkg/bin/java-toolkit --list".

This modernized infrastructure is the foundation to allow us to further
extend the Java support in OpenPKG soon, too.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       www.engelschall.com

OpenPKG                                             http://openpkg.org