Hi all,

  I've started a new opensc-java subproject, which I initiated due to
the following reasons:

1) The PKCS#11 interface together with opensc does not allow to
implement CA-functionality with smart cards. (No possibility to present
two PIN simultaneously and many other problems...)

2) Even with plain opensc, operating a smart-card CA is very painful,
because you need openssl, which does provide felible CA-tools, and most
smrt-card manufacturers are providing APDU-scripts to initilialize smart
cards outside the opensc-framework before you are in business

3) JAVA-1.6 introduced a smartcardio-API, which works out of-the-box on
all platforms.

Summing all these shortcomings up, I decided to implement a PKCS#15
library in JAVA, including a JCE-provider and an APDU-scripting
framework with the first steps available under:

http://www.opensc-project.org/svn/opensc-java/trunk/pkcs15/

Currently, I can read Siemens CardOS 4.3b cards, parse all relevant
ASN.1 objects, while the implementation of the whole PKCS#15-ASN.1
objects should be a strightforward extension of the surrent ASN.1
framework due to the fact, that I use bouncycastle as the basic
JCE-provider, which has support for many algorithm including ECDSA and
many others, which are part of the PKCS#15 standard.

Unfortunately, with the beginning of next week my daily duties will
capture my time again, so I urgently search for co-developer, which help
to develop the next steps:

- crypto operations on many different card operating systems.
- Implement the JCE-provider (many parts may be overtaken from opensc-pks11)
- Extend the basic scripting framework in order to achieve a full
lifecycle-management for smart cards
- write 16 tons of JUnit tests...

The primary goal is to provide for a library, which enables to easily
implement CA-applications with bouncycastle and the new PKCS#15 library.
The created smart cards should be fully interoperable with the classical
opensc components and thus complement the opensc-framework.

An interested developer should contact me via e-mail, so I may advocate
her/him in order to gain write access to the opensc-java repository.

  Best regards,

    Wolfgang