Dammit, I forgot the list would strip the attachment. Cheap ASCII art follows:

+-----+-----+-----+
| App | App | App |
+-----+-----+-----+
| P11 | CSP | CDSA|
+-----------------+
|     OpenSC      |
+-----------------+
|     OpenCT      |
+-----------------+
| reader | reader |
+--------+--------+
|  card  |  card  |
+--------+--------+

-- Tim

On Apr 1, 2008, at 8:52 AM, Timothy J Miller wrote:
Allcon--

I need a quick favor. Can someone review the following text & diagram for accuracy? It's extracted from a high-level technical paper I'm writing re: smartcards on Linux. This is intended to be purely descriptive, and I'm mainly interested in making sure that I got the architecture description right, and I'm not comfortable enough with OpenSC and OpenCT to be certain I actually have it straight in my head yet.

aTdHvAaNnKcSe.

-- Tim

"""
OpenSC and OpenCT
OpenSC[1] and OpenCT[2] are two related open source projects aimed at providing an open and portable smartcard architecture. OpenSC provides the smart card library, including support for specific cards and a PKCS#11 module for applications, while OpenCT provides an interface to the physical hardware.

Figure 4 OpenSC / OpenCT architecture block diagram

In addition to the pure architecture described above, OpenSC provides an IFD Service Provider and OpenCT provides an IFD Handler for use with PC/SC, so some integration of PC/SC and OpenSC/OpenCT architecture is possible.

"""

[1] http://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/wiki/OverView

[2] http://www.opensc-project.org/openct/wiki/OverView