Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:

> >> Why is that a problem? Why do you need HAL to know about smart card
> >> readers?

> > HAL detects correctly music players, scanners, fingerprint readers,
> > UPSes (well, just only HID). Why Smart Cards should stay unknown
> > devices?
> This is not a use case.  Please show us an actual use case.

As I wrote before, I have an application, that needs direct access to
the reader and I need to permit direct access to selected readers just
to the local user sitting at the machine. (Yes, I know that it is bad
and deprecated way to access cards, but I didn't wrote these
applications.) HAL policy is the preferred way to do it in openSUSE.

That is why I need to identify Smart Card readers by HAL.

I don't need anything more, but when it will be done, it would be good
to do it a good way to prevent changes in future. That is why I am
asking here.

I can imagine more use cases: Launching applications was one of
examples. Another example may be: When the Class 3 reader is attached,
suggest to install additional applications. Just another: When a smart
token is attached during system installation, ask user, whether to
configure it for encrypted devices/boot/login.

Here is a short example, what I intend to do:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
    <match key="info.subsystem" string="usb">
      <match key="usb.vendor_id" int="0x076b">
        <match key="usb.product_id" int="0x3821">
          <merge key="info.category" type="string">smart_card_reader</merge>
          <append key="info.capabilities"
type="strlist">smart_card_reader</append>
          <append key="info.capabilities" type="strlist">smart_card.iso</append>
          <append key="info.capabilities"
type="strlist">smart_card.class3</append>
          <append key="info.capabilities"
type="strlist">smart_card.ccid</append>
          <append key="info.capabilities"
type="strlist">smart_card.ccid</append>
          <merge key="info.pcsc.driver" type="string">ccid</merge>
        </match>
      </match>
    </match>
  </device>