--On Thursday, January 22, 2009 01:18:44 PM +0100 Stanislav Brabec
<sbra...@suse.cz> wrote:

>> I cannot
>> imagine any vendor shipping policy that would allow ordinary users
>> direct  access to smartcard devices.
>
> openSUSE has to do it, at least for selected readers, otherwise users of
> these applications complain. Adding a PolicyKit restriction would be a
> step forward, not back.
>
>> > PolicyKit can ensure, that only users physically sitting at the desk
>> > can use the card.
>>
>> Unless, as Alon points out, the user is using pcsc-lite or openct, in
>> which  case the daemon accesses the device, rather than the user doing
>> so directly.
>
> PolicyKit may be useful for pcsc-lite/openct as well, to block remote
> users access to daemon.

I'm not sure how you intend to do that, or even that it's a good idea.  In
fact, I'm pretty sure it's not a good idea to assume that all cards belong
to a user physically sitting at some terminal; I expect to see a usage
model in my organization that involves forwarding of reader access over an
ssh connection, in a manner analogous to how the ssh agent works.

>> HAL _can_ report these devices, and does, to pcscd.
>
> Yes, it reports them, but as unknown USB devices.

Which is OK, because all smartcard reader devices are _not_ alike, and
pcscd needs to identify the device specifically in order to determine which
driver to use.

> As I wrote in other replies, I am not going to launch anything.

No, but you're arguing that a use case for your proposal is to enable
launching an application when a reader appears, and that's not the right
time to do so.

-- Jeff