On 1/23/09, Ludovic Rousseau <ludovic.rouss...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > anyway, old stories, long closed. using hald is supported upstream and
>  > easier, thus it is the recommend way from my point of view.
>

> I have the exact same (frustrating) experience with udev and pcsc-lite.
>
>  Plus:
>  - no udev event is generated when the device is removed

There is, I sent you.
Hal get this from somewhere...

>  - it is not possible to use udev to register a callback in a program
>  when an event occurs. You have to write script and use signals.

True.

>  libhal solved all the problems for me.

But minimal system is Linux+udev+hal+(usbfs?)+pcscd.
If we learn from this experience we find that in time more and more
complimentary services will be added and core components will have
more and more dependencies.
It turns POSIX environments into Windows... You have about 20
processes which does nothing only to make system usable.
I don't like this direction and prepare to work hard in order to help
avoid reaching this state.

Maybe for dekstop environment which already have large number of
dependencies one more is valid...

It is correct that udev did not make life easy, but it is not so
complex and the modifications needed were minor.

Alon.