>The hash value, BTW, is just the subject key identifier extension
>field in the cert.  It's computed by the CA, you don't compute it
>yourself.  (Only guaranteed to be unique for a single CA.)  sc_auth is
>just a script layered on top of "dscl" and "security" if you feel like
>looking at such things.

The hash value is a SHA-1 hash of the DER encoded subjectPublicKey
structure.  Per RFC5280, the subject key identifier is allowed to be
literally anything at all.

SHA-1 hash for SKID is most common, but CAs exist that do other things.

>That would make sense, since I gather 2048-bit keys are uncommon.

Not quite true.  Everyone in the field has known 2048 has been coming for
about half a decade now.  In fact, ability to grok 2048 is in the relevant
standards as a MUST clause.

-- Tim