On Saturday 02 May 2009 02:08:38 Anders Rundgren wrote:
> The need for an externally visible
> file-system in a smart card does not appear logical; none of the current
> crypto APIs need that.

Certainly apps don't need it.  At most, a regular app would target PKCS#11,
which does not expose a filesystem.  Except in very special scenarios, an app
would not target OpenSC's API.

OpenSC is relevant because it offers a framework for accessing
filesystem-based devices.  This is a useful part of the "stack", since most
cards out there are those kind.

You suggest that, in the future, cards won't be filesystem-based.  I guess one
of two things would happen: 1) a new framework is created at the same level
in the stack as OpenSC (it sits side-by-side to it, with PKCS#11 hovering
over both), to support these command-based cards, or 2) OpenSC becomes a
kitchen sink framework for all kinds of cards.

Not being an OpenSC developer, I don't know which path makes more sense.

-Justin