On 03/16/2010 11:16 PM, Rickard Bellgrim wrote:
> On 16 mar 2010, at 13.50, Tomas Gustavsson wrote:
>

>> If using PKCS#11 I would personally not go down a path that is not
>> commonly used. The common usage of smart cards and hardware security
>> modules always stores both the private (as a sensitive object) and the
>> public key (either as a public key or as an x.509 certificate).
>> This works and is well tested and is sure to work across a wide range of
>> smart cards and hardware security modules.
>>
>> Why is this not suitable for OpenDNSSEC.
>>
> We currently do use both the private and public key object. It is just that
> we have heard different stories. E.g. when I tried to get a similar patch
> into pkcs11-tool one year ago. And from others saying that it is important to
> save the space in the HSM due to licensing or limited space.
>
> And your recommendation from the smarcard industry is to use both the private
> and public key object?

Definately my recommendation. I'm also working with all the big HSM
vendors and you don't have to save space on any of them, at a minimum
you can store about one hundred objects in a single slot. So for PKI
purposes there is vast space available. None of the big HSM vendors
license per storage, it's simple one-time purchase price of the HSM
hardware (+ support costs that are a percentage of the price).

Keep it simple :-)

Cheers,
Tomas