On Apr 2, 2010, at 16:16 , Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
> Am Dienstag 30 März 2010 21:39:46 schrieb Martin Paljak:
>> I see it more like white (known to work) and black (known not to work
>> or known to work with documented issues) and gray (not
>> known/obsolete/historic).
>
> for example entersafe works, but only with a singe pin,
> you can't create more than one or use sopins, as far as I know.
Entersafe (or Feitian to be precise) has no docs, so it is hard to know what it
can or can not support. AFAIK the entersafe *driver* only implements support
for a single PIN indeed.

> or starcos works, but cards without the test bit can't be deleted.
> and the pin0002 test fails on starcos, but that seems harmless.
>
> so there is some grey, not only black and white.

OpenSC supports (to some extent) many cards, which all have different features
and different capabilities. Usage of those features and capabilities depends on
support in OpenSC as well. For example, if feature X is secure messaging and it
does not work for card Y, does this make card Y an unsupported card (if it
works for 80% of users without SM)?

IMO, what you describe is "release notes" for either software itself or for a
specific card. But it is very detailed and exact information, usually in the
"black" sector (something is missing from what is commonly known as "full
support")

What constitutes full support is subjective and depends on the card and users.
Right now, I don't think that taking some kind of technical benchmark or
uniform technical test as the basis for evaluating "support" for cards would
make much sense. Maybe in the future.

My initial message was that there's no point in listing things we know that we
don't know - like nobody knows if OpenSC works on OS/2 for example. We'll find
it out when somebody asks about it and reports either success or failure.

>> OK, this means that for OpenCT it can be written "OpenCT does not
>> support Debian/kfreebsd" in the FAQ/somewhere.
>
> well, we do have a sys-bsd.c and it should work. I guess only
> a tine issue with compiling exists, but there is noone with
> time and energy and system to fix that.
> and serial drivers should work well of course. ok, nearly noone
> uses them any more.
Probably this means there is no point in fixing it as there are no users of
this combination (Debian/kfreebsd).

As is the case with serial readers - yes they hardware still exists and yes
there are reasons to use those devices. But there is no need to actively
maintain the support for this combination as there is zero feedback from
somebody using those combinations so the time spent implementing the support
can be spent on something more useful.

--
Martin Paljak
http://martin.paljak.pri.ee