On 04/21/2010 02:25 PM, Jan Just Keijser wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>

>> or send patches for libp11/engine_pkcs11 to handle gost.
>> (no idea how much work that would be - I'm quite clueless
>> over there. also gost engine might be much better than the
>> simple and hacky engine_pkcs11).
>>
>> but maybe I missed something in the discussion or got some
>> parts wrong? please don't let me stay stupid :-)
>>
> the problem is quite subtle:
> - some applications load engine_pkcs11 and/or opensc-pkcs11 but they
> themselves do not use openssl
> - to use the gost algorithms inside of engine_pkcs11 the openssl gost
> engine (an external .so file) needs to be loaded.

So is gost calling the openssl engine or high-level code to do it's
operations? If so that seems like a layer violation, since the PKCS #11
interface could be called from the openssl_engine.

We have the same situation in NSS. PKCS #11 modules written with ckbi
that need to do crypto (and do not supply their own implementation) can
not call the NSS PK11_XXXX interface that applications are expected to
use. Instead the PKCS #11 modules needs to call the freebl layer used by
the NSS softoken.

I believe openssl has the eqivalent (though I don't know if that layer
is in it's own shared library, are is exported by openssl).

bob