On May 19, 2010, at 18:15 , Juergen Beisert wrote:
> Martin Paljak wrote:
>> On May 19, 2010, at 16:32 , Juergen Beisert wrote:
>>> I don't know if this is the correct list to ask this question. If not,
>>> please give me a pointer.
>>>
>>> Other SmartCard interfaces are built into an external reader (mostly
>>> connected via USB or serial line). My SmartCard interface is built into a
>>> SoC processor running a regular Linux based system. I have written a
>>> small kernel driver to gain access to the hardware (the interface logic)
>>> and also a driver for openct to make userland happy. So, all software
>>> components (application, opensc, openct, driver, SmartCard interface,
>>> SmartCard) are running on the same system.
>>> Are there other people out there who are also using SmartCards in such a
>>> way? So, does it makes sense to support this kind of connection in openct
>>> and/or the kernel?
>>
>> pcsc-lite lately also grew better support for embedded systems. Maybe you'd
>> be interested in integrating the SoC driver with the (more standard) PC/SC
>> interface as well.
>>
>> SoC questions have surfaced quite often lately, so surely you're not alone.
>
> I started with PCSC. But they are not interested in non CCID devices (and it
> seems you have to re-implement the whole communication routines, if your
> device is not a CCID one...).
Really? Who are "they"? Are you sure you're not mixing up the OSS CCID driver
(which, yes, is meant for CCID compliant USB devices and should not deal with
non-CCID drivers) and the pcsc-lite PC/SC interface/package in general?

> On the other hand its not a question which userland application is in use.
> Its
> only a question how to talk to a kernel driver for a SmartCard interface in a
> generic way.

If there existed a "standard" userspace<->kernel API which different
SoC/embedded platform vendors could implement it would be as useful to the SoC
scene as CCID is to the USB scene.
Then a single and universal driver (ifdhandler) for pcsc-lite could be created
just as the CCID driver is universal (so-so) for CCID devices.

Eventually a stable kernel interface does good, the same way  as creating a
pcsc-lite compatible ifdhandler  (even if it is more work in the beginning)
does good to the application developers, as it provides the only universal and
cross-platform access layer (PC/SC).

Then again, I don't know how big would be the overlap between embedded and
desktop PC/SC applications.

--
Martin Paljak
http://martin.paljak.pri.ee